Friday, June 20, 2008

Light Chocolate Chip Cookies?



Ummm.... no. I tried to "healthify" my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe (Award Winning Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies), but they just aren't the same. They are good, a little cake-like, but cookie-like enough to satisfy my never ending craving for these delicious little treats.

Before adjusting my recipe, I did a little research into how I could reduce the calories in my cookies. I thought about the old applesauce trick, but everything I read said that you can't replace the fat with applesauce in cookies, like you can in cakes and brownies, because it will throw off the fat to flour ratio and the cookies won't spread. Next I thought about margarine instead of butter... but, unless you use light margarine, it is just as fattening as butter. So, instead I just reduced the butter by 1/4. I also replaced one cup of white flour for whole wheat flour. Instead of regular instant pudding, I used sugar free/fat free instant pudding. As a general rule, I don't usually use sugar free stuff... who wants to eat chemicals that just taste like sugar? Lastly and sadly... I cut the chocolate chips down to 1 cup instead of 2 cups. After all that slimming and trimming, here is what I came up with:

Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 3 dozen

1 cup wheat flour
1 1/4 cup white flour
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 sugar
1 package vanilla instant pudding
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Edges should be golden brown.

Cookie dough balls... I love my new cookie scooper! It's half the reason
I wanted to make cookies.


Perfectly baked at 11minutes.


Oooops... :)


0 comments: