Saturday, July 19, 2008

Banana Pancakes with Coconut Syrup


If you are like me, you're not a huge fan of banana flavored things. For instance... I think banana flavored "Runts" candy are one of the most disgusting flavors I can think of. However, banana bread, I usually enjoy. It has enough spices to compliment the banana flavor. So, this morning when my daughter is suddenly demanding "BANANA PANCAKES!" (which she has never had!), my first thought is "...yuck". Seeing as how I look forward to a delicious Saturday morning breakfast with my family, I decided to put my foot down, "Nope, no banana pancakes, if you want pancakes I will make the whole wheat pancake recipe".

However, after hearing my husband say that maybe he would just skip breakfast and listening to Katelyn's continued plea for banana pancakes, I gave in and started looking for a recipe. As usual, I headed to Allrecipes.com and searched for banana pancakes by the highest reviews. I found what looked to be a relatively simple recipe and headed to the kitchen. That is when I remembered the homemade coconut syrup that was still in the refrigerator from last Saturday's breakfast. Hmm, maybe banana pancakes with coconut syrup wouldn't be half bad.

I was wrong... they were AMAZING! Really, the word amazing in the case does not just mean that they were really good pancakes. No, amazing in this case means that I think I could open up a bed & breakfast and have people coming for miles just to eat pancakes. They were light and fluffy and the banana flavor was very mild. Paired with the delicious, coconut syrup they were nothing less than a tropical paradise of flavors.

Note: This was also a really fun recipe to make with kids. Katelyn had fun mashing the bananas. I love having her in the kitchen with me. As she was mashing she was yelling, "Look, I am like a mommy!" It was so cute. :)

Fluffy Banana Pancakes
makes 12 - 4" pancakes

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed (mine bananas didn't have any brown spots yet)
Combine flour, white sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together egg, milk, vanilla, vegetable oil and bananas. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture; batter will be slightly lumpy.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Cook until pancakes are golden brown on both sides.


Coconut Syrup
from The Sister's Cafe

7-8 T. butter
¾ c. buttermilk
1 c. sugar
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp coconut extract

Place butter, buttermilk and sugar in a pot. Then turn stove on medium and stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and boil one minute. Remove from heat and add soda and flavoring. It will bubble up; just continue to stir and give it a few minutes for the 'fizz' to reduce before serving.

0 comments: